We Make Movies’ Improv Night’s primary purpose is to help generate ideas for scripts and character development.
Writers can utilize actors to help flush out ideas or get past writers’ block. Directors working with just outlines can test out scenes for future filming. Actors get a chance to test out their repertoire of characters with our community. We encourage all artists to take big risks here, so no feedback is given. It is a safe space to explore, and a willingness to fail can lead to great results.
When: April 20th at 7:30 pm
Where: ELEPHANT STAGES – The Lillian Theatre (1076 Lillian Way, Los Angeles, CA 90038)
Bonus: Free wine and snacks!
- Writers and directors may select from the night’s participating actors to perform.
- Actors can create their own teams and take the stage.
- Everyone who shows up will have a chance to perform, and your WMM host(s) will create scenarios for you if none are available.
- All actors must be given the chance to perform once before others are allowed a second opportunity.
- While improv is generally known to produce humor, we encourage all forms of improv: dramatic, absurd, dry, slapstick… whatever is appropriate for our artists to explore given the scenarios they are developing.
- Please submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org and a WMM representative will communicate with you to make sure it will work on stage.
- There is no need to submit! Show up and we will get you on stage.
- Actors, stay true to the spirit of what the writers are asking for, and be conscientious of basic improv dos and don’ts:
- Don’t negate or deny
- Do support what your fellow players bring to the improv
- Do Make choices that create action in the scene
- Give and Take
- Listen, watch and concentrate
- Work to the top of your intelligence
- If you have a clear idea that you hope to improvise as a way to work on character development, please email email@example.com with your team name and a list of your teammates with everyone’s email addresses to reserve a spot.
- Up to 4 slots are available on a first come, first serve basis & if you cancel with less than 48 hours notice, your team will no longer be eligible to perform on future nights.
- Substitutions for individual teammates are acceptable so you do not have to cancel due to a single person’s emergency.
- There is no queue. Submissions will be accepted when the newsletter announcing each Improv Night goes out.
- Actors may only be on one team per Improv Night.)
- The amount of time each scene or group gets to perform will depend on the quantity of submissions, participating actors & the discretion of your host.
*This Event Sponsored By PATREON